OFFICE OF THE OMBUDSMAN VISIT THE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
The Office of the Ombudsman started to visit educational institutions in the country as part of outreach programme to educate and inform the public about the roles and functions of the Ombudsman.
|DATE||PLACE||DISTRICT||NO:OF PEOPLE ADDRESSED||NO: OF PAMPHLETS DISTRIBUTED|
|25-02-2016||Roma College of Nursing||Maseru||24||500|
|08-03-2016||National University of Lesotho||Maseru||40||1000|
|09-06-2016||Ntlafatso Skill Training Centre||Mohale's Hoek||104||500|
|13-07-2016||Maluti Nursing College||Berea||47||1000|
|13-02-2017||Thaba-Tseka Technical Institute||Thaba-Tseka||225||2000|
Questions that were mostly asked during the above presentations
- Whether the Ombudsman’s recommendations are binding or not?
- Why Ombudsmanship in Lesotho still not felt after 23yrs since its establishment?
- Does the Office wait for people to bring their complaints or it can do investigation on its motion?
- Whether the office is free from any intervention?
- The use of word “recommendations” does not give them confidence in the office.
- Independence and effectiveness issue (appointment of Ombudsman)
- Why is the Office still not well known to the public?
- How is the Office related to DCEO?
- They suggested that the Parliament should get involved in the appointment of the Ombudsman for the sake of the public’s confidence.