The Office of the Ombudsman
The Lesotho Ombudsman Institution was created under the Lesotho Constitution of 1993 in line with the provisions of Section 134 read with Section 135. The Office started its operations in 1993. Its powers, role and functions are detailed and spelt out under the Ombudsman Act 9 of 1996.
In terms of Section 135 of the Constitution read with Section 7 of the Ombudsman Act, it is the duty of the Ombudsman to investigate or inquire on a five pronged mandate areas:
From its inception the Institution had the service of four Ombudsmen; the current office holder is Advocate Leshele A. Thoahlane KC (Feb. 2015 -)
In order to fulfil the above mission, the organisation will strive to achieve the following goals:
“Create and maintain, among citizens and the general public, high level of awareness of their rights as entrenched in the Constitution and to just, fair, accountable, reasonable and prompt service from public sector agencies and parastatal organisations”.
“Educate them on their role in contributing to the promotion of respect for and protection of the said rights as well as sustainable management of the ecosystem in Lesotho ”.
- The Ombudsman subscribes to timely, transparent and fair resolution of complaints
- Accessibility to all at all times
- Accountability to all partners
The Ombudsman is mandated to investigate or inquire either on complaint or upon own initiative where there are:
- Allegations of injustice, maladministration and unlawfulness resulting from actions or decisions made by public entities and offices thereat.
- Existence of certain conditions, practices or tendencies resulting or likely to result in disorderly administration;
- Infringement of fundamental rights and freedoms (i.e. violation of human rights and fundamental freedoms);
- Existence of certain conditions, practices or tendencies resulting or likely to result in corruption; and
- Existence of certain conditions, practices or tendencies resulting or likely to result in degradation, depletion, destruction or pollution of the environment or the ecosystem